Monday, February 11, 2013

Have your students create their own rulers!

Well so much for venturing away from math units! After talking to another teacher friend, Ms. Kelley, I realized that I had another fun measurement activity that helps older kids learn more about the ruler. Though I am all for nonstandard units for the first day or so of a measurement unit, eventually kids need to get used to the ruler and I think it is also important for them to understand how the units relate to one another!

So, I had my students create their own rulers (I will post a picture as soon as I get back to my classroom!)

I gave them a foot long strip of construction paper and then came the brainstorming. We know that 1 inch is 1/12 of a foot, so how can you break your strip into equal inches.



 After talking with my teacher friend, I realized that I neglected to take this activity a step further and have them cop are their rulers with an actual ruler. Why is the measurement of their ruler slightly off? This would've helped bring the students to that higher level of evaluation and maybe even inspire them to try and make a perfect ruler. Anyway, I have posted this unit with the necessary add on to my TpT Store. Let me know how it works with your class!

Happy Teaching, 
Ms. Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment