Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Economics

Wow! This Mardi Gras Break has given me so much time to  work on school stuff! Good thing because this year has definitely been CRAZY! As a first year teacher, I am no stranger to staying up late to finish up all my things for the next day!



I was surely excited to finish up my Economics Unit and begin on a new unit for the book From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweier! When I started my Economics unit, I knew I wanted to include graphic organizers and other "ELA skills" into my social studies curriculum. In this unit, students use cause and effect, bubble maps, and other graphic organizers to help deepen their understanding of economics concepts. Also, students can talk about and discuss times when they were a producer or consumer to help the concept stick!


 

To finish it off, my students made products that we presented to the other class. Based on the supplies they used, I assigned a price range and they could pick any price within that range. They made headbands, necklaces, treasure boxes, and comics that were truly awesome! I totally neglected to take pictures on my phone though and they all traded products with each other and took them home :( so no pictures this time! 

I hope this resource helps you and your students form a deep understanding of the concepts of economics. 

Happy Teaching, 
Ms. Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment