Thursday, January 17, 2013

Fractions, Fractions, Fractions

This week has been so busy!! Thank goodness it is Thursday! After weeks of learning fractions, playing Fraction Go Fish and other center games. I think this week we have finally mastered equivalent fractions and fractions on a number line (YESS!!)! I found the cutest activity on TpT called Fraction Avenue and It is FREE! I had to make it a little more difficult for some of my super high math kids (You know, the ones that are amazing at things they learned 5 minutes ago!) but it really worked as a perfect assessment! Since then I have checked out the teacher's blog that they were on and let me just tell you it is worth a look! All her stuff is awesome! Check it out for yourself at Ashleigh's Education Journey!

To extend the activity, My students made a number line by dividing sentence strips into a certain amount of pieces (I gave my super high kids twelfths, my high kids tenths, and my on level kids ninths). Then they drew lines at each fold and labeled it (0/9, 1/9, 2/9, 3/9.. etc). Then, I gave them houses with equivalent fractions. (For example, for ninths the group had (0, 1/9, 2/9, 1/3...2/3..1) and they had to place them at the same spot on the number line. They loved it and one of my kids even came up with the idea to name the street after the denominator, i.e. Ninth Street.


Sorry the picture it a little hard to see! I thought it was better before I left school and if I put this off until tomorrow that will really mean it doesn't get posted until Tuesday. Yay for long weekends! 

I hope everyone has a happy Friday!!

Good Luck Teaching, 
Ms. Winter


No comments:

Post a Comment