Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Sweet Way To Start The New Year!

Since the start of 2013, my students have been learning about this sweet treat! We started the year by learning all about chocolate with some great resources I  found at The Field Museum.
 

 I created Questions that you can allow your kids to answer in centers based on this site. Then, I let them use those questions to compare and contrast the world's first chocolate makers. I hope you enjoy this FREEBIE!

Get the unit here!



Then we began the real treat-- the novel The Chocolate Touch. This unit is full of text dependent questions, drawing conclusions, comparing and contrasting, and many other goodies.

This week I am planning to extend this unit through reading King Midas and the Golden Touch (also included in unit)! My children truly enjoyed the book and I can't wait for them to learn about King Midas. We are also making chocolate sculptures on Valentines Day, which should be so fun (pictures soon to come)!


We covered all of the skills for Unit 4 during this novel study and it was a lot more fun then just reading short stories. I love to get the kids engaged in novels. The continuation of a story over a period of weeks builds excitement in the reading block and gives us a lot to discuss. If you have never read The Chocolate Touch it is surely a must do, even for adults. It was such a fun read!

Happy Teaching, 
Ms. Winter



No comments:

Post a Comment